Oct 16, 2020
Episode 30: Building a
Profitable Insurance-Based Practice with JoAnn Keller
Ever wondered if you should join
insurance panels in your private practice?
JoAnn Keller, OTD, OTR/L, CHT is
the owner of Hands
for Living in Lynnwood
Washington. She is a certified hand therapist and a
successful clinic owner with a profitable insurance-based
practice. She also provides
professional coaching for therapists to begin their careers in hand
therapy and start their own businesses.
In this episode, JoAnn shares
insider tips on how to scale and grow your business in an
JoAnn and I
- How JoAnn started her clinic
- Why you MUST generate referrals to be
profitable in an insurance-based model, and how to do
- Things to consider when deciding between
cash-based or insurance-based practice
- The administrative duties behind taking
- The primary reason for insurance is the pool of
potential clients is larger which may increase referrals, but the
downside of insurance is capped income from the visit (which is set
by the insurance company and varies by company).
- Things to consider when hiring a medical biller
to help with some of the administrative tasks of insurance-based
- The process of becoming a network provider with
Medicare vs Medicaid varies per state.
- How to be more profitable with proper
- JoAnn’s biggest lesson from starting her clinic
was thinking marketing wouldn’t work. She waited for people to call
her, instead of reaching out to potential clients directly. The
LESSON: don’t be afraid to talk about your business!
- Also, make sure CONTRACTS are in writing …...
Resources from this
Join 7000+ other OT Entrepreneurs in the OT
Entrepreneurs Facebook Group
JoAnn’s private hand therapy practice- Hands
JoAnn’s free Facebook group for hand therapist